Monday, January 30, 2012

On flipping classrooms...

It is becoming increasingly clear that educators must reassess what we present and how we present it... it is also becoming clear to me.

Our students are good at using video... they watch it all the time... most of my colleagues are good at reading... they do it all of the time. I just sat through a morning in-service session in which administrators talked and talked and talked to a room full of educators about what our afternoon was going to be like.

The general consensus of the folks I sat near was that we could have understood the morning session by reading (and that we would have better understood the material through such an "in-person" presentation and then the amount of time for real work would have been extended. My recommendation that educators take their own advice and flip the classroom so that they look at video and other presentations outside of class and use class time for collaboration and problem solving was well received by those sitting near me.

No comments:

Post a Comment