Friday, January 6, 2012

High-tech "toys"

Yesterday afternoon, a colleague asked me about a seemingly simple question: where do I plug the mouse in to my iPad?

It occurred to me that there is a change that has taken place and many people (make that many adults) are not aware of the change. The tablets and handhelds that people carry around and use to connect to the Internet are not the same devices that we have come to know as computers. Keyboards are "on screen" and only available when the user "asks" for them. Mice are replaced with touches on screens. Apps are programs for very specific purposes-- this is different from the applications we install on our desktops that can be used for almost anything.

I sent my colleague to this article that was on the Common Sense Media page last fall... it is a good introduction to the e-readers, tablets, smartphones, game consoles, and learning tablets... all of the digital devices young people are using today that are different form the computers we used when we were growing up as computer users.

No comments:

Post a Comment