Monday, January 23, 2012

iBooks 2 continued...

Over the weekend, my world changed...

I am preparing the final manuscript for a book that is due to the publisher February 1. As part of that project, I am creating apps to go along with it. The Android app was my first effort as I planned to use appsbar which my students have used with success. After a a few hours of work, that apps was "done" (the quotes because it is of course a work in progress).

Last week, iBook 2 was released and with much fan fare, Apple announced its plans for digital interactive text books. My Sunday afternoon activity was to sit at the Macintosh that faces the television so I could watch the Patriots game, and download iBook Author and try may hand at creating an iBook.

It was everything I have come to expect out of Apple's products-- easy to use and completely integrated with everything in the operating system. As soon as my manuscript is completed, I expect the companion iBook will be uploaded so that iPad and iPhone users can access my first iBook.

If you have not seen the whole video introduction to the new iBooks, it is worth an hour of your time.

Please understand also, that I am a fan of Apple's product, but not their shill... I hope you take a look a this because this is the industry-standard and there will be lots of vendors releasing comparable products in the coming months... we have no choice but to understand how this changes teaching and learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment