Monday, March 5, 2012

21st century skills & wisdom

As we think about the future of education and the skills and knowledge that young people-- no make that all people-- need for their future, I think we need to broaden our definition of what is needed.

Stephen Hall's Wisdom contains some wisdom on what is needed...


Hall, Stephen. 2010. Wisdom: From Philosophy to Neuroscience. New York: Alfred A. Knopf.

I reviewed Hall's book for Education Review... my comments seem to be gaining relevance each day:

Hall’s pillars and similar themes from other authors have 
not become obvious in the modern classroom. I write this 
review days after seeing boxes containing the latest 
iteration of our standardized tests arrive in the school 
where I work. Recent faculty meetings have focused on 
strategies for ensuring students perform well, and the days 
of test-administration promise to be stress-filled for all, 
especially for my son who attends the school where I 
work. I expect to see my son’s scores in a few months, but 
I am not sure those tests will measure wisdom. After 
reading Hall’s book, I suspect his pillars of wisdom are 
more predictive of my son’s future success than the scores 
on his upcoming standardized tests. 

No comments:

Post a Comment