Monday, December 19, 2011

Today's libraries

On occasion, I go to the library at the local state college... they have a pretty good education department, and so their stacks have plenty of good resources...

I have noticed that students are beginning to use the library as a research and collaboration space in a way that was unacceptable when I was a student. Students gather to work and write... and talk.

I suppose we can consider it a sign of the times and a 21st century reality. I miss quiet libraries and I still find them whenever I can, but I recognize that much of the work I used to do in the library, I can now do at home. When I visit the local college library, I have a list of books I want to read and I know the call numbers and I know if they are available or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment