Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Bad humor in the 21st century

FaceBook is an interesting way to share news. In the last several years, I have been informed of several situations by FaceBook--- the deaths of individuals of local worth, accidents, births, you get the idea. In general, the news that comes around is reliable. But then...

Last night, I watched the pre-game show before Monday Night Football as my kids and I look forward to the bit they always do looking at funny events from the weekend (C'mon Man.) I then went to my home office to work on my book that is due to the publisher in a few weeks, when my wife came down and said, "someone on FaceBook just said there was a terrorist attack at the football game."

We rushed to turn the TV back on only to find that a transformer had malfunctioned (and that makes an impressive display in the night sky if you have never seen it) and there was a power outage at the stadium. I guess the lesson is that everyone having the capacity to "report and disseminate" information is wonderful, as long as the information is accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment