Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Common Core deserving a closer look?

I always get nervous when "the new standards" are coming. This is an event that has happened several times over my career and it is always the sign that nothing is going to happen for a few years: We hold off on making any decisions about what to do or how to proceed on school improvement because we need to see what the new standards say... we also assume that the new standards have the answers that we have been waiting for.

The Common Core is the next best thing as far as standards are concerned... and it appears that we need to be skeptical.

Of course, I am not the best person to ask about this... I figure I know as much about technology and the role of technology in society as anyone who is making curriculum decisions. When my students and I look at the curriculum standards for computers and we find that my students are creating authentic projects  in which they demonstrate performance at grade levels higher than they are enrolled (and the kids are engaged and enthusiastic while doing it), then I figure I am safe in ignoring the standards and doing what I know is best for my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment