Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Profit & Education

If you are like me, something has seemed "not right" about the idea if for profit education. The same feeling accompanied the interaction I had with philanthropists who sought to fix education. 

(While I recognize many educators are simply going through the motions and their classrooms leave much tone desired, I could never understand the reasoning of a principal who asked me to adopt whatever a philanthropist was proposing. I have spent a career in the classroom developing the wisdom of graduate study and experience while they made mounds of money in business. But when it came to providing a model for students, I was supposed to defer to business leaders.)

This blog entry on EdWeek's site does an excellent job of consolidating and documenting my concerns:



- Dr. Gary Ackerman

No comments:

Post a Comment