Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Startup Sends More than Music through Speakers

Sometimes I get frightened by what I read on TechReview about emerging technologies, but this one somehow does not seem invasive (although the potential is there I suppose). Basically, an app hears (via a smartphone microphone) sounds in the carrier's environment and that triggers events.

In education, I can see a sound at the end of a video signally an app to begin a quiz on the material. I can see college campuses with the system set up to provide extra study resources as a reward for students attending lecture (or at least sending their phones to lecture).

OK, now that I think about it, the potential for abuse is pretty high!


I thought you might be interested in the following story on TechnologyReview.com:

"Startup Sends More than Music through Speakers"
Sonic Notify uses sound waves to let your smart phone pull up everything from coupons to music videos.

http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=40383&a=f

To view this story, click the link above or paste it into your browser.


- Dr. Gary Ackerman

No comments:

Post a Comment