Monday, May 21, 2012

PhET science sims

I have posted about this site in the past, but it deserves another mention.

The University of Colorado at Boulder hosts an excellent collection of physics and science simulations... written in Java, these run on almost any computers you use to visit the site.

As I explore ways to flip classrooms or to otherwise shift the nature of the work my students do in class and outside of class, I am finding that the site has excellent options. Students find that game-like nature of the simulations to be engaging; I can trust that they will (and can) complete data collection outside of class and that we can then analyze data in the classroom.

Many who initially think about "flipping classrooms" think about delivering lectures outside of class... data collection is another task that can be transfered out of the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment