Thursday, August 4, 2011

South Korea

While browsing EdWeek today, I was intrigued by this article which indicates the South Korea government intends to supply students with tablets so they can access virtual textbooks.

I can hear my colleagues response now, "But they only use computers for dumb stuff." (And they are surely accurate in this assessment... if I had a nickel for each game, "sneezing panda" video on YouTube, and attempts to post "<3  this" or "LOL" on FaceBook have I observed in school, I could retire.)

Unfortunately, many teachers accept that observation as a reason that they should not use computers with students. I counter, if e don't give students something other than "dumb stuff" to do with their computers, then we can only blame ourselves for the predominance of  dumb stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment