Monday, August 8, 2011

Sign of the times...

On the EdWeek Digital Education Blog, I read about a law that says educators can't use social networks to contact students... OK, seems reasonable... but wait... my son has been my student and he is my FaceBook friend... and the law says I can't contact former students.. wait, what?... really?

So... here is a situation... I have maintained contact with a former student... as he graduated form high school, then college... his parents invite me to their house when he is in town so we can catch up, and I occasionally contacts him via FaceBook to seek his advice (he works as a computer programmer). Now I am breaking the law when I do that (well at least in Missouri).

I understand the need to protect people, but really... doesn't this seem a little too far. 




No comments:

Post a Comment