Friday, May 27, 2011

Your Summer Reading

OK middle school teachers... time to prepare your own summer reading list as well as you students' list. Here is your assugnment:

1) If you don't use your school's full-text databases, talk to your librarian and find out how to access any that you have available.


2) If you don't have access or if you are familiar with your database, then visit the Directory of Open Access Journals, a site that links to more than a thousand peer-reviewed journals. Find one that is of interest to you (not your students, this is for you!) and read abstracts, articles, and reviews.

I used to work with a superintendent who said that part of his job was to help teachers who had become burned-out rediscover the enthusiasm that brought them into education. He tried to achieve that through supporting professional learning. I keep that spirit alive in myself by reading... I have a tall stack of books awaiting me and my porch this summer... and the titles have little to do with education... there is biology and cognitive science and other science. I also intend to read a dozen open access journals!

http://www.doaj.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment