Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Wikipedia

Yesterday, I was working with a group of students and we were researching performance-enhancing drugs. The conversation quickly turned to appropriate sources for academic research, and (as you can probably predict) students tried to argue that Wikipedia was fine for school research. (As you can probably predict also, I argued that it was fine for initial research, but not for academic research that requires references.)

A student made my point for me... he edited the page we were all looking at and told everyone to reload the page... we all saw how the list of substances banned for Olympic athletes now included some items that I do not think should be there. I thanked the student for proving my point that we have to triangulate!

No comments:

Post a Comment