Friday, March 25, 2011

OK... here is something worth seeing!

On the Internet sites I visit, I have seen some chatter about Khan Academy in the last few months, but I have not had the chance to go and look... I did this morning, and I am wishing I had been there earlier.

Several thousand videos that explain "things" that I have explained time and time again as a middle school science and math teacher. Now, I have no problem showing students how to (for example) subtract fractions; but I get tired, I make mistakes, and I am not always around when the student needs a refresher. These videos, on the other hand, never tire, never make mistakes (as long as the original coach didn't make any mistakes), and they are always available.

Our world is changing... the relevance of any educator who keeps doing things the way he or she did in the 20th century is pretty much gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment