Wednesday, December 4, 2013

A High School Lab As Engaging as Facebook | Budding Scientist, Scientific American Blog Network

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/budding-scientist/2013/11/29/a-high-school-lab-as-engaging-as-facebook/

Take a few minutes and take a look at the vision if education contained in this article. As I read, I think back on the rich industrial arts program I experienced as a middle school student. We had four teachers keeping the wood shop, metal shop, ceramics studio, and drawing room full all day. When I returned to that school as a faculty member, there was one teacher in the vacant shops.

Within a few years, the program was gone. Now we see how important those experiences making things were. What was meaningful to me as a student (I still remembered how to operate all of the machines when I was an adult), is now seen as innovative education.

-- Gary Ackerman, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment