Monday, November 7, 2011

Prepare your students for this...

When I hear parents and teachers and others arguing we need to "get kids ready for college," a shiver goes up my spine. Every year about this time, I see students beginning  return form their semester year of school and they are in-debt and not liking school.

In a recent story in the New York Times web site, we read that students debt continues to rise... I see young people who have borrowed more money that I spent on my house to get undergraduate degrees.

In middle school, we have the chance to open kids to possibilities and to explore all of their interests so that they can make good decisions in a few years... perhaps entering the trades and feeling confident in their choice (an being healthy and engaged in the world) is the best option for many of our students.

No comments:

Post a Comment