Tuesday, November 29, 2011

No kidding!

Big news on the EdWeek website!!!

The transition from elementary school to middle school can be challenging for students. There is even some evidence that steps can be taken to ease that transition and support students as they become adolescents. Wow this is amazing! We need to find a group that can help us learn more about that!

I have a cynical colleague (he is even more cynical that I am) who claims this is simply "repackaging what we have been doing forever." I suppose he is right, but I am frustrated that many of the middle school practices we know work to help youngsters grow through the middle years have been torn out of schools in the name of academic performance... perhaps the pendulum is swinging back to the extreme of reason.

I have a great idea.... plan to attend the NELMS annual conference in April (and bring a friend and a principal).

No comments:

Post a Comment