Thursday, January 27, 2011

Wisdom

"What do students need to be able to know and do?"

That question has been the focus of educators and politicians for recent decades. At least it has since the 1960's when stating goals became part of our public planning; yes, desired outcomes is something that entered our thinking only about 50 years ago!

As I have observed the standards-craze in the decade and a half, I have become increasingly convinced that we are just shooting at meaningless targets. I see little connection between the goals I read in science and math and technology standards and what I do as a science and math and technology literate citizen. Ostensibly, we can feel good about making progress towards teaching students what they will need in the future, but the reality is that no one knows the skills and knowledge necessary for future generations. Stephen Hall's Wisdom is an interesting take on what "skills" are needed for the future. I think there is some wisdom in his list, and I think this will cause forward-looking educators to turn a critical eye towards what we ask kids to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment