Thursday, September 26, 2013

Usability of Technology

The usability of technology has come to my attention recently. The idea is simple, if users perceive technology to be easy to use, then they will use it. Notice the word "perceived."

As a technologist, I may find a solution works:

> My system is secure.
> Installations are easy for me.
> The system is highly centralized, thus cheap.

But if those characteristics of my network make it difficult for end users, then it will not be used. (No matter how much I claim it works.)

At the same time, we as technologists must be careful about what we allow users to do. With some easy steps, we can limit permissions so users cannot make changes that result in technology that is more difficult to use.

I will avoid yelling stories about teachers who fill their computers with adware and spyware and then claim about "how slow this thing is."

I will suggest educators and technologists work together.

1) Technologists build good systems.

2) Then they teach teachers how to use the systems.

3) Teachers then "complain" about the system.

4) Technologists modify the system to meet teachers' needs.

Try it. It works.



-- Gary Ackerman, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment