Tuesday, November 2, 2010

10 Commands for Digital Age

As I walked out the door this morning, I heard the announcer on Vermont Public Radio give a promotional announcement for a program to be aired later in the day... the topic sounded intriguing, but I was in the middle of class when the programmed aired, so I did the next best thing... I Googled the bits of the announcement that I recalled, and found the book that went immediately to the top of my “to read” list.

Douglas Rushfoff’s Program or Be Programmed, seems to raise important issues for those of us who care about the future of society and those of us who see a role for humans (all humans) in deciding our individual and collective future. I am intrigued by both the argument he makes in the YouTube video promoting his book and in his 10 Commands for the Digital Age that show up in the table of contents of his book:


I. TIME
Do Not Be "Always On"
II. PLACE
Live in Person
III. CHOICE
You May Always Choose “None of the Above”
IV. COMPLEXITY
You Are Never Completely Right
V. SCALE
One Size Does Not Fit All
VI. IDENTITY
Be Yourself
VII. SOCIAL
Do Not Sell Your Friends
VIII. FACT
Tell the Truth
IX. OPENNESS
Share, Don’t Steal
X. PURPOSE
Program or Be Programmed

This sure seems to be the outline for any good “healthy living in the digital world” lesson for middle school classrooms. I am hopeful that others interested in the issues raised by Rushoff (or who have read his book) continue the discussion...





No comments:

Post a Comment